Monday, February 22, 2010

First Commandment Activities





First Commandment: You Shall Have No Other Gods Before Me (Catholic)


Do I place God first in everything?
Do I put TV, music, video games, homework, friends or other things before my relationship with God?
Do I value money, power, popularity, or objects more than God?
Do I forget to make time for God alone? To pray?
Do I give God time every day in prayer?
Do I seek to love Him with my whole heart?
Have I been involved with superstitious practices or have I been involved with the occult?
Do I seek to surrender myself to God's Word as taught by the Church?
Have I ever received Communion in a state of mortal sin?
Have I ever deliberately told a lie in confession or have I withheld a mortal sin from the priest in confession?
Do I neglect to thank God regularly for the gifts and blessings He has given me?


Lesson 16: The First Commandment of God- (The New Saint Joseph Baltimore Catechism, No. 1, page 77-80). For younger students.

Lesson 16: The First Commandment of God- (The New Saint Joseph Baltimore Catechism, No. 2, page 106-111). For older students.

catholicity.com- Lesson 16 from the Baltimore Catechism (no questions at end of lesson as in the book above)

cin.org-The Baltimore Catechism

scborromeo.org- Catechism of the Catholic Church

You Shall Have No Other Gods Before Me- Stories, crafts, games, prayer, and adventure. (Kids' Travel Guide to the 10 Commandments by Carol Mader, page 18-27).

childrensministry.com- No Room for God (This activity illustrates how a heart crowded with worldly things removes God from first place in our lives.)



Coloring:

web.archive.org- You shall have no other gods before me. Exodus 20:3

biblestoryprintables.com- You Shall Have No Other Gods

meaningfulmama.com- There is Only One God Craft (coloring)



Crafts:

tallgreenhouse.blogspot.com- God is #1 Foam Hand (mini craft version posted)

catholicicing.com- I Believe in 1 God Craft

abcjesuslovesme.com- 10 Commandments Train
Only do the engine (#1 Put God First)

babies-crafty.blogspot.com- God First Craft (scroll down to this)

Crafts to remind you that because you love God, you can say, "I Love Pleasing God" and really mean it!
pinterest.com- Heart Crafts
pinterest.com- Heart Crafts



Games:

I Love God Above All Things: is played with a deck of cards with pictures of various objects on them. The purpose of this game is see if you can "lose" all of your objects (cards) that you have valued over God.


4 pages of cards


Introduction: We are to love God above all things. We cannot value money, power, TV, music, video games, homework, friends or other things before our relationship with God. Can you put God first in your life?


Directions: Four cards are dealt to each player if three to six players are involved. With only two players, five cards are dealt to each. All remaining cards are placed face down in a draw pile. Randomly choose a player to go first. On your turn, ask for a specific card. You must already hold one of these cards. For example: "Charlie, please give me the cell phone." If Charlie has it, he gives it to you and you go again. Otherwise, he says "Go Fish" and you draw from the draw pile. If you happen to draw the card you asked for, you get another turn. If you draw anything else, it is now the next player's turn. When you collect both cards, immediately show the set to the other players and place the cards face up in front of you. When the draw pile runs out, keep playing until all of the cards have been made into sets of two. When the draw pile is exhausted, no one says "Go Fish." If you ask someone for a card she doesn't have, it becomes her turn. The first player who runs out of cards says, “I love God above all things” and is declared the winner.



Puzzles & Worksheets:

web.archive.org- Look under 10 Commandments for worksheets


These puzzles are free, however they can only to be used for classroom and personal use. They may not be published on any websites or other electronic media, or distributed in newsletters, bulletins, or any other form or sold for profit.

Word Search

Word Jumble

Crossword



Movies:

Veggie Tales- Where's God When I'm S-Scared? Daniel and the Lion’s Den



Bible Stories:

Daniel and the Lions- lesson plan for 1st grade on up with: Objectives, Review, Vocabulary Words, Bible Story with questions, Activities, Crafts, Games, Snacks, Puzzles/Mazes/Worksheets, etc.

Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego- Scroll down to Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego for activities, coloring, crafts, games, puzzles, quizzes, etc.



7 comments:

Catholicfitmom said...

I want to say Thank you for such a great BLOG. I just found it today and I think I am going to run out of ink! God bless you!

Amazing_Grace said...

Thank you Cecilia for the kind words. I hope you find some activities that you can use. :)

Children's Ministry Magazine said...

Hello! Thanks for the link to http://www.childrensministry.com. We love to help out so please let us know if we can be of more assistance. God bless you!
-Rochelle

anita said...

Hello,
Thanks for the activities posted have used them in my classes in Church of Divine Mercy Shah Alam malaysia.God bless you and give you lots more ideas.
cheers
Anita

Amazing_Grace said...

Anita- I hope your students enjoy the activities! :)

Heidi @ ABCJLM said...

Thank you for sharing ABCJesusLovesMe.com with your blog friends. I wanted to let you know that the link that you shared has changed. If you can please change it to http://www.abcjesuslovesme.com/ideas/10-commandments

Thank you! Heidi

Amazing_Grace said...

Thank you Heidi for the new link! :)