Saturday, January 7, 2012

Church Potluck Recipe: Cajun 15 Bean Soup





At home we LOVE this soup on a cold winter day and since we started a new Pot Luck activity at our church I thought I would bring it. After CCD we have a Pot Luck Luncheon once a month featuring our priest who enlightens us with his wit and wisdom about the history, mystery and majesty of the Catholic Church.

This is what I fixed to warm us up and to share with the congregation along with some hot buttered corn bread (Jiffy corn muffin mix).



Cajun 15 Bean Soup

*I make this the day before and in the morning I warm it up in the microwave and put it in my crock pot on LOW to keep it warm. I take the crock pot with us and plug it in my CCD classroom and go to Mass. After CCD I just take it down to the Fellowship Hall and plug it in there. I warm the cornbread up in a microwave and place it on the table next to the crock pot.


Ingredients



• Hurt’s HamBeens Cajun 15 Bean Soup (dry beans and flavor packet in a bag)
• 1-2 lbs. of regular or mild Italian sausage (I use Jimmy Dean HOT roll sausage)
• 1 large onion, chopped
• 1 15 oz. can stewed or diced tomatoes
• Juice of 1 lemon
• 1-2 cloves garlic, minced



Cooking Directions

Soaking: Place beans in a large pot, cover with 2 quarts of water. Allow beans to soak overnight, or at least 8 hours.

1. After soaking, drain water, add 2 quarts of water. Bring beans to boil, reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 2 ½ hours.
2. In a skillet, sauté onion, garlic and sausage until sausage is browned.
3. Drain excess grease and add contents to beans along with tomatoes, lemon juice and Cajun flavor packet.
4. Simmer another 30 minutes. Salt and pepper to taste.

Servings: 16 (1/2 cup cooked)





No comments: